Master Bedroom DIY

Taking some notes from Pinterest and more time than I ever wanted to spend, I’ve done some updates to our master bedroom that have my need for expensive furniture satiated (for now). I’ve almost mastered the DIY Pottery Barn black that people on the interwebs seem to love so much, and I can proudly say my hot glue gun skills are on par with a bad seamstress’.

image

I found the headboard on Craigslist and rolled up my sleeves (just kidding, it’s been in the high 90s here. No sleeves these days), picked up paint from Home Depot, and snuck in layers of Killz primer while the boys took naps. When it was all said and done, no sanding required, two coats of primer, two coats of paint (Behr Black Suede in eggshell), and two coats of sealant (Minwax satin finish spray paint) was all it took to make this thing look a little more high end.

image

image

So let me tell you about those curtain panels.

image

The windows in our bedroom are something like seven feet tall. I don’t know what the actual measurement is. They’re really big. And curtains to fit whatever size they are end up being expensive. So I saw a post on Pinterest on how one lady made custom sizes for her windows using cheap panels from Walmart and fabric, and decorated with ribbon. So, because I’m not a heathen, I went to Target and bought four navy light blocking panels in the 84 inch length (each panel was $9, and I had a 20% off coupon for all four, plus my 5% off card. They ended up being around $28).  Since I can’t sew and I already had two white cafe curtains, I bought another set for $12 at Target and hot glued the white cafe curtains to the navy panels. Add some off white quatrefoil ribbon from Hobby Lobby, and bam! Four custom length curtains for $46 total.

image

Our dressers were finished before 2.0 was born, but I never talked about them on the blog. And since I don’t have any of the old pictures detailing how I painted them, I can tell you it was the same method as the headboard, same paint, etc. They were a set on Craigslist for $75 we bought right after we moved into our old house. The colors on them, gold and cream, were bad enough, but they also smelled awful. Luckily Killz primer knocks the smells out. I added some new hardware and these old French provincial dressers now look a lot more chic. Well, they did, until Mini Gwinn started leaving milk stains all over them.

image

image

One day I'll replace the nightstand, but until then...

All in all, we spent very little to create a bedroom that doesn’t resemble a college dorm room. I still see plenty of things I’d like to fix (dream flooring- herringbone hardwood!), add, etc, but for now, I’m just happy it’s coming together.

image

image

image

Advertisements

About mombieconfessions

I am a sarcastic mom, tried and true INTJ, my DISC profile has a high D and C with low I and S, and I'm a quirky geek (love me some Star Wars, BSG, Firefly, Dr, Who and comic books!). When I grow up I want to be an Amazon warrior with super powers and an awesome costume. Music and literature are passions, cooking and baking are hobbies, and writing a blog (such as this one) is both a cathartic release and documentation of the growth of my family and myself. View all posts by mombieconfessions

2 responses to “Master Bedroom DIY

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: